Monday, October 14, 2024

Arrival in Lisbon

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
9/22/2024 n/a n/a n/a n/a 563.9 miles



After 3 weeks of cramming in physical therapy for my foot, we arrived in Lisbon. Tara, Dian, Phyllis and I came to Portugal to hike the Fisherman's Trail. This is a hike I was supposed to do last year but had to cancel due to my foot. This year brought new foot issues - not constant, and unpredictable. I knew I could walk enough to do sightseeing, but I was unsure if I'd be able to do any of the hike. My foot got aggravated in PT less than a week before the trip.

Tara, Phyllis, and I met up in Philadelphia and shared a flight into Lisbon. Dian flew directly there from her house. We stayed at the Poet's Inn Hostel in Lisbon. It was 2 metro stops and a walk from the airport. We were able to drop off our luggage and walk around our neighborhood before our rooms were ready. Our area is filled with small convenience stores, that mostly sell wine and junk food. We did make our way to a Lidl grocery store to pick up some real food for the next couple of days. We returned to our hostel and had some snacks.  Then Phyllis, Dian, and I wandered around town more and after some time, settled on a place to eat. We did some people watching and I did some sketching. Tara and Dian introduced me to Vino Verde, a delicious light Portuguese wine.

Seating outside the kitchen of our hostel.


The city is full of red tile roofs.



View from our room. Notice the tiled building across the street.

Snacks at the hostel.

Despite this sign, we found people very friendly. But yes, Lisbon is full of tourists.


Most buildings in our neighborhood are tiled. The tiles are all unique and beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment