Thursday, October 6, 2022

Smokemont Loop, Smokies

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
10/2/2022 8.2 miles 4 hours 15 minutes 1,552' 2.4 779

Parking: 
  • Smokemont Campground
Maps:
  • Gaia GPS app (for navigation)
  • 100 Favorite Trails of the Blue Ridge and the Smokies (for directions)
Directions:
  • See 100 Favorite Trail Map. We modified it by taking an out and back to the Chasteen Creek Cascades.

Today I lead my first hike for the Carolina Mountain Club. I had a fun group of 9 people, all of whom I had hiked with before. I spent a bunch of time before the trip researching the area, so that I could tell the rest of the group about it. I don't expect it, but always appreciate it when others do this - a chance to learn about the area. When I scouted this hike, I needed to take several rest breaks going uphill - a long climb in the beginning. I thought I would be even more tired this time after 7 days of hiking, but I actually felt stronger. I hope it lasts, lol. I'm not a fast hiker, but I should have slowed down a bit today, to give the rest of the group time to breathe. A couple of the faster hikers in my group were really happy with my pace though. 



Bradley Cemetery






Chasteen Creek Cascades, our lunch spot



After our hike, we drove out of the campground and stopped at this historic church




On the way home, we stopped at a pull off to admire the views. We live in such a beautiful place.







No comments:

Post a Comment