Friday, September 16, 2022

Yosemite Backpack - Day 2 - Ireland Lake Trail to Vogelsang Lake

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
9/8/2022 7.1 5 hours 59 minutes 1,955' 1.7 mph 662

Parking: 
  • Dog Lake Trailhead
Maps:
  • Gaia GPS app
Directions:
  • Leave the PCT and JMT and follow the Ireland Lake Trail. 
  • Turn right onto Evelyn Lake Trail
  • Lunch next to Fletcher Lake
  • Pass Vogelsang Backpacking Camp
  • Pass Vogelsang High Sierra Camp, and turn left
  • Hike to tenting area above Vogelsang Lake

I was hoping after dinner and breakfast, my pack would feel substantially lighter. No such luck. I scarfed snacks. A bag of peanut M&M's I think is close to 2 ounces! Today we had more elevation gain, but again, our guide hiked at a mellow pace. My quads did get tired from carrying the weight of the heavy pack.

We stopped next to Fletcher Lake and had lunch. So pretty. I love the lakes in Yosemite.

Then off to Vogelsang Lake. We passed by the closed Vogelsang High Sierra Camp. Before covid, there were fancy tents there. You could rent one for a lot of $. There are also toilets. And you get meals served to you. Glamping! Everything is shut down now though. Restrooms were locked. We checked. Because easier than digging a cat hole.

We arrived at Vogelsang Lake early. Setting up a tent in such a rocky area was a bit of a challenge. The area is exposed & windy, so our guide warned us to make sure we were well staked in. I put rocks on top of my stakes. One just didn't want to stay in. We did get an afternoon thunderstorm after we were all set up, which was a perfect opportunity to collapse and rest in my tent. After dinner, we were treated to a gorgeous sunset. Also, a view of Half Dome from my tent Just wow! Living my best life! 













The edge of Fletcher Lake

The closed rustic High Sierra Camp. 



My tent site



Hello Half Dome. Our guide told us that if you can see Half Dome in Yosemite, you'll have cell service. Otherwise, none.

Vogelsang Lake













This is way better than front country camping!

















Half Dome


Vogelsang Lake






No comments:

Post a Comment