Friday, September 16, 2022

Driving across Yosemite

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
9/6/2022 n/a n/a n/a n/a 644.9

Parking: 
  • Gaylor Lake Trailhead (you can park either just a few feet outside of the park entrance, or a few feet within the park entrance).
Maps:
  • Gaia GPS app
Directions:
  • n/a

I was scheduled to meet my guide in the evening in the town of Lee Vining, just east of Yosemite. We were originally supposed to meet and camp our first night in Yosemite Valley, but the smoke and heat (104 degrees) were too bad in the valley, so our plans changed.

I decided to take a leisurely drive across Yosemite towards our meeting point. It was around a 3-hour drive between Oakhurst and Lee Vining. Driving took even longer, as they are in the process of paving the road between these points. That meant 3 20-30 minute waits. People turned off their cars, walked around, etc. while waiting. I was in no rush, so it didn't bother me. On the way, I stopped at several pullouts to enjoy the views.

Glen and I had our first "adventure travel" type trip around 15 years ago. We stopped by Yosemite and then did a guided base camp trip in the Ansel Adams Wilderness area. That trip made me fall in love with hiking and the adventure of camping outdoors. Today I drove by areas we had driven through before on that trip. The view was totally different this time - due to the smoke. The smoke got better as I traveled further east.











Krummholz!


Krummholz!









Parking just outside the park for a Gaylor Lakes hike




No comments:

Post a Comment