Saturday, July 17, 2021

CMC Trail Maintenance, Douglas Falls

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
7/16/2021 2.4 miles 6 hours 10 minutes 475' 162.9
Map: n/a

Parking: Craggy Gardens Visitory Center

Directions: n/a

I'm maxed out on vacation time, so I used a vacation day I needed to take in order to not lose it. I joined the Carolina Mountain Club Friday trail crew to work on the Douglas Falls trail. It was a large crew, maybe 20 people. This was completely different work than we do as trail section maintainers. We worked with rocks! Really interesting work, to help improve the trail. We had someone from the crew who spent the day teaching us what to do. I really liked the crew, and hope to join them on a more regular basis in the future. No photos today.

Glen and I have also volunteered to be section maintainers. We did this in NY, and loved our little section of trail we maintained. It looks like we will be getting 4 miles of the Appalachian Trail to maintain. After our trip, we were issued hazel hoes and swing blades, that we can use when we do our section maintenance work. I made a friend a week ago, who has volunteered to help us with our section.

No comments:

Post a Comment