Thursday, November 28, 2019

NC Appalachian Trail - Sections 7 - Tellico Gap to Wayah Bald

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
11/14/2019 10 miles 5 hours 31 minutes 1,419' 527.8

Map: Appalachian Trail Conservancy North Carolina
Parking: Wayah Bald and Tellico Gap
Directions: Hike from Wayah Bald to Tellico Gap

The day started out with a long shuttle on forest roads, but the roads weren't that bad. I needed socks & hand warmers again to keep my fingers warm - it was 32 degrees out when we started. I started out hiking fast to try to keep warm. I changed my layers a lot. We had lots of deep fluffy and slippery leaves on the trail.

We took a side trail up to a bald again. It was a short and steep detour, but worth it. I love these balds!

We had a long ascent today. We stopped part way up to eat lunch at the Cold Spring Shelter. We didn't stay long because it was easy to get chilled when we stopped. Coming down the mountain, we had a steeper descent today. My knees were aching my the bottom. We saw a few thru hikers today. Actually, we've seen a few most days. I'm hoping they aren't sleeping out at night - it must be so cold! We passed by an apple tree that looked like it must be on an old homestead. A few of us were brave and picked up an apple off the ground. They didn't look so good, but actually tasted pretty nice.

Think my photos may be in reverse order....








I looked....and I swear there was no good bear bag tree where it said there was!



Apples!

...which tasted pretty good





No comments:

Post a Comment