Thursday, November 28, 2019

NC Appalachian Trail - Sections 7-8 - Wayah Bald to Winding Stair Gap

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
11/13/2019 10.6 miles 6 hours 47 minutes 1,762' 517.8

Map: Appalachian Trail Conservancy North Carolina
Parking: Wayah Bald and Winding Stair Gap
Directions: Hike from Wayah Bald to Winding Stair Gap

Our drive wasn't bad today - roads were good. We started out at Wayah Bald. We took a short walk to the tower to look at the view. Last night I stopped by Walmart and got hand warmers, so today I was a happy camper! I traded my gloves for socks so that I could keep my fingers warm. Really nice view at Wayah Bald. The different shades of mountains were spectacular - I'd love to create a mural of the mountains like this.

We had a few road crossings today. There was a .2 mile side trail to Siler Bald. A few of our group went up there. It was a steep tiring climb. I carried my backpack, didn't think to leave it at the bottom of the hill with the rest of our group. Doh! Super view from the bald. Great hike today - warm hands & two superb views in one hike! Some of our group didn't do the climb to Siler Bald, so we hiked back down to have our lunch. More rhododendron tunnels again.

It was 35 degrees out when we started hiking in the morning. Sometimes chilly, sometimes warmer. I adjusted my layers a lot. There was a lot of heavy leaf cover on the trail. I stumbled quite a bit.

Tonight's dinner was make your own tacos at our hotel. We caught other hotel guests eying our food - it was pretty funny. Doesn't everyone think to cook their dinner in the hotel lobby?

Walking up to the Wayah Bald tower from the parking area










Climbing up to Siler Bald






No comments:

Post a Comment