Sunday, July 7, 2019

VA Appalachian Trail - Section 43 - Thomas Knob Shelter to Elk Garden

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
6/22/2019 4.2 miles 245.9

Map: AMC Southwestern Virginia
Parking: n/a
Directions: Thomas Knob Shelter to Elk Garden


Our last day of our backpacking trip. Even though the mileage was small, I'm glad to have experienced a 5 day/4 night backpacking trip. This is the longest number of days I've done as a backpack. Although I already know a lot about hiking, and have been on some 2-3 day backpacks, I still learned a lot on this trip. The number one thing was how to deal with rain. We had a lot of rain and some thunderstorms - I managed to not freak out during the storms. I also became better at packing my pack - my pack always feels too small, even though my pack weight is reasonable. I learned how to use different water filters & stoves. And I learned a different way of hanging a bear bag. Lots of good stuff, with a great group of women. I've also made friends and have new potential slackpacking / backpacking buddies.

Hard to capture, but we were above the clouds this morning






Another herd of ponies










Photo by Tali Hunt

Photo by S Ghioto - everyone excited about taking a shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment