Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mary Smith Hill, Catskills

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
5/4/2019 6.6 miles 4 hours 36 minutes 1,803' 41:47 194.4

Map: NYNJTC Catskill Trails Map 144
Parking: Berry Brook Road
Directions: Hike east to Mary Smith Road on Mary Smith Trail. Return the same way.


We didn't do any hiking during this past week, because my knee was sore from our Virginia trip, and I needed it to recover. Krummholz was bouncing off the walls by the end of the week. Lots of zoomies in the house last night.



I had planned a 4.6 mile hike, but somehow Glen got confused about the hike I planned, and didn’t take us to the right parking area. I didn't notice until at a sharp turn in the trail, when I decided to look at my map. I didn’t see a sharp turn. I asked Glen where he thought we were. He said we are at Mary’s Mountain. I said wait – we should be heading to Middle Mountain. Oops. Turns out he planned a different hike than I did.



The hike out was good. We took both dogs – it was nice to not leave a dog behind. We planned for this to be all off leash (Krumm running with 30’ long line) due to the distance of the hike. He did fine on the way out. The dogs had fun exploring. I kept Trek within a reasonable distance so that they didn’t race each other. I practiced an occasional recall with Krumm, rewarding with tugging. We met a man and his son backpacking – Krumm did not like them at all. He appears to be going through a fear period. After that, I kept him mostly on leash. I switched to a 5’ leash, and had to work on loose leash walking. This was sometimes challenging. Some of the trail is very steep – I fell a couple of times because I couldn’t get footing and just slipped. Krumm eventually settled and his loose leash walking improved. He actually sat a few times and waited for me on some of the steep parts.



















No comments:

Post a Comment