Tuesday, June 12, 2018

VT  Appalachian Trail - Section 1 - Trescott Road (NH) to Tigertown Rd/Podunk Rd.

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
5/31/2018

Map: New Hampshire-Vermont Appalachian Trail Guide
Parking: Park first car at Tigertown Rd/Podunk Rd (space for around 2 cars at the intersection). Park second car at Trescott Road (not where it intersects with the AT though).
Directions: Take Ledyard Link trail from Trescott Road to AT. Hike southbound to Tigertown/Podunk Rd intersection.

Today we jumped further north again. We started out in NH and hiked southbound, finishing the northern section of VT. Our AT map showed a parking area on Trescott Road where you could take a side trail to the AT. We parked at the large parking area, and crossed the street and found a sign for the Ledyard Link trail (our AT map didn't list the name of the side trail). The side trail went through a very, very buggy area. Today it was more mosquitoes rather than black flies. It was pretty horrid. We both resorted to Deet today. I wore my buff for ear protection - my ears sting from all of the bug bites I've gotten. Once we got onto the AT, we headed southbound.

We reached the town of Hanover, where you walk through the length of the town. The trail conveniently passes right by their food coop. I was hungry pretty early, but we didn't stop. We had a reasonably long day, so wanted to keep moving. Hanover is a very hiker friendly college town - I like it! It has a very active trail angel community, and the Dartmouth Outing Club helps to maintain trails in the area. Even though I'm beyond college age, I find myself wishing I could join the DOC, lol. We hiked over a bridge where we saw a poor thru hiker standing there - I think he was trying to wave down a car to get someone to take his photo at the VT/NH border lol. Lucky for him, we came up and were able to take his photo, and he took ours.

We continued into Norwich, Vermont, passing a sign for King Arthur Flour (would love to visit, but we ended up not during this trip). The hike up Elm Street was hard. Hiking up steep pavement. We ended up at Podunk Road, picked up our car and drove into Hanover. We stopped to get takeout at Basecamp, a vegan friendly restaurant that we've eaten at before. We then sat in the Trescott Road parking lot and ate it. We felt to sweaty and dirty to actually eat in the restaurant :)

Side trail from Trescott Road parking area to Velvet Rocks shelter area

Intersection with the AT

Hiking by Dartmouth College stadium

There are signs for hikers not to tent in the athletic fields lol

Leaving Hanover, NH

Entering VT - tucked in socks & buff over ears were more for mosquito protection today!



3 comments:

  1. Oh those darned mosquitoes. They get my ears, too, and here lately they have resorted to my scalp and those bites are painful. In this day and age can't somebody invent bug repellent hairspray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I prefer to use Repel (natural). Glen gave in to deet before me. I have pants treated with Permethrin, but I think I'm sensitive to it - I have quite sensitive skin. I touched the pants, and touched my face and I had a reaction (I think this is really, really uncommon). Glen ordered Picardin. We haven't tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only natural thing I have had any luck with is Bug Soother spray for biting flies on dogs. Spritz that on them and flies are gone. I spray my face with it and it keeps gnats away for a little while. It is supposed to keep mosquitoes away. It does not For me it DEET all the way or I am eaten alive.

      Delete