Saturday, May 5, 2018

PA Appalachian Trail - Sections 12-13  Route 34 to Woodrow Road

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/17/2018 13.4 miles 1,243'

Map: Appalachian Trail Guide, Pennsylvania plus map that comes with the guide
Parking: Dropped off first car at PA Route 34. Drove 2nd car to Woodrow Road (gravel with around 3 parking spots).
Directions: Hike northbound on AT

Trek had a poor appetite today. During our trip he eventually just stopped eating breakfast. My guess is he doesn't want to eat so close to going for a drive, as he has a sensitive stomach. I hadn't brought any canned food for him, but we ended up going to a pet store and finding some for him, in order to improve his appetite.

Today it was 34 degrees and we had snow flurries. I was hoping Pennsylvania would be a little warmer by now. Spring is arriving late this year. The trail was still flooded with water. Goretex really can't hold up to conditions like this (I don't bother buying Goretex shoes any longer). I tried putting my feet in plastic bags before putting them in my shoes, but the bags broke pretty quickly. This is a trick that Glen sometimes does, and it works well for him. I had cold wet feet all day long. We skipped the side trail to Pole Steeple - its supposed to be a great view. But my feet felt too wet to want to do extra miles, plus it was overcast, so probably not much of a view today. We only saw 2 people day - way fewer than we saw on the weekend. We passed by the AT Museum in Pine Grove. We would have loved to have visited, but its only open on weekends, at least this time of year.

My hip was much better today! What a relief! Yet my feet were sore, and the fascia of my left foot were tearing. I ended up with a mild case of plantar fasciitis (which I'm prone too but haven't had badly in years) during this trip. The Salomons I'm wearing aren't very padded - my feet were sore today. I have new larger Altras but the toe bone spur I have was hurting in them. It's always something!

For dinner, we went to Banana Leaf Indian Cuisine. All of the vegan items on the menu were labeled which made Glen happy. They had a lot of south Indian options, which made me happy. The food was good and the servings were large.

The trail is a stream



Another half way point


I've heard this is a hostel


AT Museum






Route 34 parking lot


2 comments:

  1. What a bummer that you guys had so much cold weather and rain. I hope the weather got better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt like we were there a little too early.

    ReplyDelete