Saturday, May 5, 2018

PA Appalachian Trail - Sections 10-12 Route 641 to PA Route 34

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/18/2018 15.3 miles 2,439'

Map: Appalachian Trail Guide, Pennsylvania plus map that comes with the guide
Parking: Parked first car at Route 641. Parked second car at Route 34
Directions: Hike northbound

Today there was no rain! Woohoo! It was cold in the morning, but in the afternoon it was beautiful. Within 200' of the parking lot, I tripped and fell. Yes, I fall a lot. I think about all of the AT hikers who go out on the trail to figure out their life, etc. I have no such time for those kinds of thoughts - all I can concentrate on is the current moment - where I will put each foot. Today we walked through Boiling Springs. So, I wondered if there really was some geothermic activity, so I stuck my finger in every stream we crossed. No luck. It was always cold. When we walked through town, I learned that there is a spring which bubbles up, so it looks like it is boiling, but alas, is not. We walked by the Mid Atlantic ATC office. Boiling Springs is a cute town with a pretty lake. We saw very few hikers today. The last 6 miles of today's hike was flat. We hiked through farmland. Luckily there were no cows in the fields we crossed today - I wonder how they would take to a dog walking by. We saw grape hyacinths on the trail. At first they looked planted, as they were on the sides of the trail, but then I saw them in the woods as well. I'm not sure if they are native?

Today we stopped by Wegmans again for dinner. They have a really nice local PA microbrew selection. My body feels tired but pretty good. Mostly my feet feel sore. Trek acted tired in the morning, but in the afternoon he was back to his active self. His appetite was a little better today. Some days he didn't even want much for dinner. Our hotel we are staying at in Mechanicsburg is not so nice. They weren't cleaning the room much, and our towels smelled very strongly like some bug spray or something. The water at the hotel was also funky tasting, so we ended up buying bottled water. The town itself is nice though.

Short path behind the parking area which leads to the AT
 








Big rocks can be kind of fun. This reminds me of the lemon squeezer in Harriman.



Also at one time considered the half way point on the AT






Furnace in Boiling Springs

ATC Mid Atlantic office












No comments:

Post a Comment