Saturday, May 6, 2017

South Carolina State High Point, Sassafrass Mountain

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/23/2017


Parking: Hiker parking lot

State High Point #10!

We started out in Georgia and drove east to South Carolina. The drive is just about to the top of the mountain. Our GPS tried to take us along non-existent park roads. Once where we needed to be, there is a very short paved path behind a gate, which leads to the summit. It was very windy, raining hard, and cold. My pants got completely soaked and I was freezing and shivering even though it was such a short walk. I ran back to the car to get my puffy jacket, and ran back up. No one else was there. Who would be crazy enough to go out in this weather? We hurried to take our photos and returned back to the car to warm up. I had brought a raincoat on this trip, but didn't bother bringing rain pants, because I figured it would be WARM. I knew if the rest of my vacation was going to be this cold, I would definitely need rain pants - because there was a lot of rain in the forecast. We found a Walmart and I found Frogg Toggs there. They only had a large size, but they were inexpensive, and I decided they'd have to do. They have an elastic waist so at least they won't fall off. I didn't need a jacket, but the pants came with one. On the top of Sassafrass Mountain, there are supposed to be views of the Smokies, but we saw nothing.

Next stop, Georgia.






No comments:

Post a Comment