Sunday, November 6, 2016

Ramapo Dunderberg Out and Back, Harriman

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
10/29/2016

Directions:

My pain level has become much more tolerable in the last week, so today I got to try a longer hike than last week. Still short, but we are experimenting. I wanted to reach Bald Rock shelter, but Glen didn't want me to go that far yet (he has a fear that he's going to have to carry me out!). We were able to do the hike without a problem. Yes, I was a little more sore after the hike, but no I didn't need to take any NSAID's. I've been avoiding taking them unless I'm in a lot of pain. This hike did give me an idea though. This spring, we finally bought equipment for backpacking.So far, we have never used the tent, because of our limited hiking while figuring out what is happening with my hip. Based on how I'm feeling now, I think we'd at least be able to camp in Harriman. It isn't too far of a hike to reach a shelter. Work has been stressful lately - I've been putting in 60-70 hour weeks. If I could do mini-camping trips, I'm thinking this could help re-charge my batteries.

We did see a lot of people early on in the hike. Harriman is a popular park, and the weather was gorgeous. I love the Ramapo Dunderberg trail with it's rocks and grasses. Part way through the hike, I stopped and got a sudden urge to hug the rock I was hiking on. Let's just say I've been on an emotional rollercoaster due to my hip pain. Today I was so appreciative of being able to go out and hike.












No comments:

Post a Comment