Friday, January 1, 2016

Tremper Mountain, Catskills

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
1/1/2016 6.3 miles 3 hours 42 minutes 2,155' 1.95 mph 6.3

Trail Map
Parking: Route 40
Catskill All Trails Challenge: Map 141




Directions: Tremper Mountain & Tremper Fire Tower

Notes:
I usually have to work for a bit on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, but this year I hoped for the best & decided to go to sleep early and if all went well, go hiking on New Year's Day. I did get woken up by our dogs at midnight when fireworks went off. They weren't too happy. I logged into work for a few minutes and went back to bed. On New Year's Day, I quickly logged into work in the morning, saw that everything seemed okay, so we could go hiking as planned. Glen didn't wake up very early, but we thought we could still fit in a hike to Hunter Mountain. Then I got called about work on the way to the Catskills. Pulled over to a rest area, and tried to deal with it. So, we were getting more behind. We changed plans at the last minute and decided to hike Tremper Mountain.

I wore new winter boots today. Unfortunately my feet are in agony now. I need wide boots, and these just weren't wide enough. My feet bones feel all smushed together. I was in pain for most of the hike. The Catskills have some snow, and the higher we went the more snow covered the trail was. The trail is an old Jeep Road. It is a wide trail, rocky but not too difficult (except for the elevation gain and my aching feet). There were quite a few people & dogs hiking up to the tower today. We hiked up with no microspikes, but hiked down using them most of the way. Although I'm not fond of hiking up fire towers, I did hike up for the view. The top was closed, but you still could get a view from just under it. This area is known for having a lot of rattlesnakes, so hiking it in the winter seemed like a good idea - especially with an off leash dog.








Looking down at Glen and Trek


No comments:

Post a Comment