| Date | Distance | Time | Elevation Gain | Average Moving Time | Year to Date Miles |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 8/20/2026 | 2.4 miles | 2 hours 22 minutes | 61' | 1.7 mph | 247 |
- Take a boat from Copper Harbor to Isle Royale. There is parking at the harbor.
- Pick up map on the island from a ranger.
Directions:
- Facing the visitor center turn right. Turn left on the Stoll Trail following the sign for the auditorium. Follow the Stoll Trail. Turn right at the 1/2 loop sign. Follow the trail back to the visitor center.
Today is my day to visit Isle Royale. Glen and I are taking turns, because dogs aren't allowed in the park. Today, Glen is looking after Krumm while I do a day trip. Doing a day trip is kind of crazy, but it works for us! The ferry ride is 3 3/4 hours EACH WAY! The hike they tell all day trip visitors to do is a 2-mile hike. So, I had 7 1/2 hours of boat rides to do a 2-mile hike. Call me crazy!
We left our hotel in Houghton at 6 am (ack!) to get to Copper Harbor at 7 am. Glen dropped me off. I grabbed a muffin at a bakery right in the dock area. Then off to the boat dock information office to pick up my ticket. I waited around with many other people until they let us board the boat. Backpacking backpacks & luggage went on top of the boat. I took Dramamine before boarding. The seats on the boat were pretty much all indoors. It was very chilly. Some people wore puffy's. I'm glad I grabbed my wool hoody this morning before I headed out. The ride was very smooth. I didn't see anyone getting sick. Yeah! I heard later that two days earlier, 3/4 of the passengers got sick.
I arrived at Rock Harbor at 11:45 am. They separated us into two groups, and we received instructions from a park ranger. We learned what to do if we ran into a moose or a wolf. Say what? We aren't in NC anymore! They told all the day hikers to do the 2-mile Stoll Trail. If you are a fast hiker, you could really do a longer loop. They told us to be back near the dock at 2 pm. I don't think they started loading us onto the boat until around 2:30 pm though. I took off to the Stoll Trail. I noticed the map showed to do the loop in a counterclockwise direction, but I did it clockwise. I turned at the sign for the auditorium.
The hike was short but magical. The trail follows the shoreline of a peninsula. The understory looks different than NC. Plus, there are beautiful views of evergreens along the shoreline of Lake Superior. I fell in love with the place & already wanted to go back while I was hiking! I kept my eyes peeled for moose and wolves. I didn't see any. But I did see many piles of moose scat. Even taking the hike at a very leisurely pace including a lunch break, I still got back to the boat dock with tons of time to spare. I decided to sketch an NPS boat.
Then back on the boat. I briefly spoke to a family that I had spoken to on the morning ferry ride. They saw a moose. No way! I'm so jealous! I sat with another couple at a booth on the boat. They had been backpacking. It turns out they saw both a moose & a wolf! The wolf was only 50 feet away from them & was walking towards them. Holy cow! So, my hike was much less exciting. The other couple was working on visiting all of the national parks, so we compared notes on parks that we've been to or wanted to go to.
Glen spent the morning hiking. He said that most of the Copper Harbor trails are mountain biking trails, and he did encounter lots of mountain bikers. He did also go on a hiker only trail, but he said it was less well maintained. Krumm went hiking with him, but no swimming for Krumm today. Glen spent the rest of the day walking around town or hanging out outside the visitor center. There is no cell service in town, but sometimes you can get some spotty wifi outside the visitor center.
Tomorrow, we'll switch. Glen will visit Isle Royale, and I will hang out in Copper Harbor.
| Sunrise at Copper Harbor |
| Lining up for the boat |
| Rock Harbor, Isle Royale |
| A copper mine |
| Smithwick mine |
| Piles of moose scat everywhere |
No comments:
Post a Comment