Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Kakiat Park and Harriman State Park


Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
5/9/2021 5.6 miles 4 hours 9 minutes 1,213' 1.5 mph 120.9

Map: Harriman

We started out in Kakiat park, which adjoins Harriman State Park. There were several ambulances and police cars in the parking lot when we arrived. We started hiking along the wide trails in Kakiat, and saw an ATV being unloaded. As we hiked, the ATV passed us, and we saw a fireman hiking in. He was struggling. I'm not sure why firefighters wear fire fighting gear when climbing mountains. At some point the ATV couldn't go further into the woods, and I saw them carrying a kitty (like a stretcher) into the woods. I asked if someone had broken their ankle. Yep! I guessed right. I felt badly for the person, as they will have a long road to recovery ahead of them. I started hiking slower, being more careful....we never saw the hiker, but I wish her well.

We hiked to a shelter which we hadn't visited before. I love when shelters are built into the stones surrounding them. This shelter was built in 1935! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment