Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Huckleberry Loop to Dry Brook Ridge Trail, Catskills

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
08/15/2020 6.3 miles 1,512' 58.3

Map: NYNJTC Catskill Trails Map 142
Parking: Huckleberry Brook Rd.
Directions: Head NE on Huckleberry Loop trail to intersection with Dry Brook Ridge Trail. Return the same way. 


This was my first hike since fracturing my ankle. I didn't start with something easy. I had gotten up to going for 5 mile walks in my neighborhood. But, I wasn't used to this type of elevation gain yet. The steep sections were challenging for my ankle. My ankle just doesn't bend as much yet as it used to. The uneven terrain was challenging too. I get twinges when my foot doesn't land on flat ground. I may be slower, but I can hike!

Krummholz liked this hike, because it has water. When he was a pup, he'd do whatever was necessary to not touch water on our hikes. Now he loves water. He stares at it, and will now stand in streams. He'll chase sticks thrown in streams. He doesn't really swim much yet (despite having swim lessons in a pool which he despised).

We ended up euthanizing Trek not long ago. We had seen his oncologist in February and March before I broke my ankle. He was diagnosed with cancer #3 and #4, while being in remission for cancer #2. Poor Trek, his body kept on trying to kill him. Without treatment, we were told he might be alive for 6 months. With treatment, we were told 12 months. I had planned on treating him, but then my broken ankle and covid happened. I couldn't drive. So, we held on to him as long as we could. In early August it was time. He was starting to have more difficulties eating. We miss him dearly. He was the best hiking companion ever. Hiking is the best medicine for missing him.

Glen and I have been working on redlining the Catskills. We're now studying the maps to find the easiest / shortest trails we can do, while my ankle continues to heal. The Catskills (at least non-3500 footer trails) are great for covid hiking. On the trails we are working on now, we rarely see others, and when we do, it's easy to social distance.



Krummholz wearing Trek's pack for the first time. I might need to get a smaller size.
















No comments:

Post a Comment