Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Elk Pen to Silvermine Lake, Harriman State Park

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
6/8/2019 9.9 miles 5 hours 42 minutes 1,759' 226.2

Map: Harriman Bear Mountain North, Trail Map 119
Parking: One car at the Elk Pen on Arden Valley Road, one car at Silvermine Lake
Directions: Take the AT North from the Elk Pen. Go through the Lemon Squeezer. Turn left at the intersection with the Long Path. Pass an unmaintained shelter. Cross Arden Valley Road. Turn right on unmaintained trail. Turn left on the AT. At the Brien Memorial Shelter, turn left on the yellow blazed Menomine Trail. Hike to the Silvermine parking area.


I'm going on a few backpacking trips, and I wanted to make sure before I went, that I could carry a 22 pound back for 10 miles. Today was a trial run. Our hike ended up being about 10 miles, and I did fine. Uphills were slower, but I expected that. No dogs today - Trek is still on a hiking hiatus while waiting to be cleared to get re-vaccinated for lepto, and this hike was longer that Krummholz is ready for yet.


Lemon Squeezer - we went the easy way

Long black snake




No comments:

Post a Comment