Monday, March 22, 2021

Trail Maintenance, Harriman State Park

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
3/22/2021 5.3 miles 5 hours 50 minutes 892' 1.3 40.2

Map: NYNJTC Harriman-Bear Mountain Northern - Trail Map 119
Parking: Parking area off of Seven Lakes Drive, southwest of Bear Mountain.

Directions: From the parking area take the 1777 W trail a short distance. Turn right (south) onto the AT. The blue blazed Timp Torne trail will join the AT. Where the Timp Torn splits from the AT, continue on the Timp Torne. Turn right (south) onto the yellow blazed Suffern Bear Mountain trail. Hike to the Cat's Elbow. Return the same way.

I took the day off work, and we headed out to Harriman to do our first trail maintenance trip of the year. Surprisingly, the parking lot was full when we arrived, and we had to park on the shoulder of the road next to the parking area. We hiked out to the SBM trail, which we maintain a portion of. Glen wanted to focus on refreshing paint for a couple of arrows, and I was focusing on clearing brush on the sides of the trail. I have to say, Glen has done an awesome job of blazing our trail in previous years. It's very well blazed, giving the novice hiker confidence in where they are going. My focus is clearing any brush that might brush against a hiker's pants as they are walking on the trail. I use shears to do so. I'm trying to learn how to sketch/watercolor, so I took a break on a rock, and worked on sketching/painting my shears. We got a view of NYC today from Cat's Elbow. We also had a view of the covid testing site at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area (where we used to park to do our trail maintenance). We left Krummholz home today, so we could focus on our work. The weather was incredible. I love our little section of trail. I didn't want to leave!


No comments:

Post a Comment