Sunday, June 10, 2018

VT  Appalachian Trail - Sections 6-7 -VT 11/30 to Stratton Pond Tent Site

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
05/29/2018

Map: New Hampshire-Vermont Appalachian Trail Guide
Parking: VT 11/30. We got a shuttle to Stratton Arlington Road.
Directions: Hike northbound

We woke up with the sun again, but were slow to get moving. We got to see everyone who stayed at the shelter pass by us as they got their water and continued on. We were able to eat breakfast before the bugs got bad. It takes us an hour and a half to get going...which is about how long it takes me on a workday lol.

Today we hiked along a dirt road  for a while to a view and stopped to eat and rest. There were two other hikers from the shelter there - they were actually doing a through hike of the Long Trail, not the Appalachian Trail. The two trails overlap for around 100 miles. I wish I had more time, because I'd like to work on hiking the Long Trail as well. We're more than a third of the way done hiking the AT, but we still have many miles (and years) to go.

We stayed at the Manchester View Hotel again - I recommend it.
















3 comments:

  1. It looks like your weather is improving! And you remind me of why I don't do tents, LOL. Trek didn't go with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a romanticized image in my head of how I see backpacking....it's pretty funny. It doesn't live up to actual experience. But, I still really like it. Glen not so much. We decided not to bring Trek since we were doing some backpacking. We did take him on a mini backpack trip once in Harriman. I think it would be fine if we could predict the weather conditions, but more challenging to backpack with him when we can't guarantee good weather. i.e. Vermont can be very muddy. Plus we had rain. Mud + rain + dog in a tent, might be asking too much of Glen, lol. We did miss Trek though! Our new local dog boarder walks him 6-7 miles/day. She said that she was amazed at his energy - that after his walk he still wants to play Frisbee forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love those border collies and their energy! My idea of camping is a night at the Holiday Inn so I am totally with Glen!

      Delete