Saturday, May 5, 2018

PA Appalachian Trail - Section 6 PA 501 to PA 645

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/21/2018 2 miles 206'

Map: Appalachian Trail Guide, Pennsylvania plus map that comes with the guide
Parking: Parked first car at PA 645. Parked second car at PA 501
Directions: Hike southbound

We finished our hike a bit early and had some time to kill. We looked for a short section we could add on to today in order to get more miles in when the weather was good. Some sections we weren't able to break up (due to lack of parking). So we ended up driving quite a ways to get a 2 mile hike in. But it was worth it to miss out on some rain later :) So this afternoon's hike is further north than we've been. And yes, its getting more and more difficult to keep track of where we are hiking when!

I fell in today's section too. Not on rocks, but my foot got caught in brambles and down I went. There were a lot of day hikers in this section. In most sections we primarily see backpackers. This was an easy section, though there are some rocky bits. Photo....not positive if it's from this morning's hike or the afternoon hike.

For dinner, we went to the Vegetable Hunter. It's a vegan/vegetarian restaurant & brewery in Harrisburg. We ate here on our trip out here from NY as well. They let us eat outside with Trek, which is fun in good weather. Trek is not a city dog, but he does adore saying hi to all of the patrons. He is really well behaved and will lie down next to our table and be polite. But, he'll look at other patrons with his sweet eyes until they notice their being stared at. Then they smile, and Trek gets to say hello and be petted. He's done this with every patron/table outside this restaurant the two times we've been. He's such a mush. Anyways, we like the food at the restaurant, but the service has been slow. We ended up switching our order to takeout after waiting for a long time.




2 comments:

  1. Trek is such a good boy! I am so glad I am not the only one who falls on hikes. In fact, while on my trip I was just thinking I was due for a fall because it had been a while. I did not need to wait much longer. On my last hike on the way home I stepped back, my heel got hung up on a huge rock and backwards momentum from the weight of my backpack took over. There was no way to stop it. Yes, I fell backwards with my back arched over my backpack and my head thrown backwards. I pulled muscles in my throat and neck all the way around. Fortunately I was still able to turn my head for the 7 hour drive home. It would have been really bad had I not been able to and had to stay in the same traffic lane all the way home, LOL. It took a week but it is finally all better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. And sometimes I think so much about concentrating so I don't fall - and then fall. I swear I jinx myself! PA is really bad for falling! I told Glen we need to move out west where the trails have easier terrain :) I call what you did the upside down turtle-pose.

      Delete