Saturday, May 5, 2018

PA Appalachian Trail - Section 9 Inn Road to Sherwood Drive

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/20/2018 13.2 miles 2,324'

Map: Appalachian Trail Guide, Pennsylvania plus map that comes with the guide
Parking: Parked first car at Inn Road. Parked second car at Sherwood Drive. I think this was the order...
Directions: Hike northbound

Today was a mix - some pastures, some rocks. The weather was also a mix - it was hard to stay at a good temperature - we found ourselves changing our layers frequently.

Trek was in his element - dancing over the rocks. He's also very adept at going over stiles. I walk slowly over the rocks. We had a couple of good views today, especially at Hawk Rock. We met one backpacker today - not a thru hiker. Most thru hikers have an orange triangle piece of plastic from the ATC that they attach to their backpack - making them easier to recognize. The hike up to today's ridge was relatively steep. We went up slowly but steadily and I felt good. I'm tired but not exhausted. I think I'm starting to feel stronger. Glen and I gradually trained for this trip by increasing our weekend mileage every week, and I think it paid off. I think a lot of our training hikes had more elevation gain than we are getting in Pennsylvania actually. The hike down from the ridge was slow, down stone steps.

Since Trek's appetite has been poor, and he's been refusing breakfast, I bought some dog treats and started giving him several around mid-day. I figure by that time his stomach will have settled, and he'd be more interested in food. That worked! He needs fuel to hike this much! I took him to the vet a week after our trip, and he lost 5 pounds! Holy cow. He is almost down to Moxie's weight (she gained 2 pounds).

Last night I found a tennis ball in our car (I always carry emergency tennis balls for the dogs), and used it to massage my foot. I think it helped some.















Pennsylvania rocks.....


No comments:

Post a Comment