Monday, April 30, 2018

PA Appalachian Trail - Sections 13-14  Caledonia State Park to Rattlesnake Run Road

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
4/14/2018 11.4 miles 5 hours 45 minutes 1,759'

Map: Appalachian Trail Guide, Pennsylvania plus map that comes with the guide

Parking: One car at Caledonia State Park, another car at Rattlesnake Run Road

Directions: Northbound from Rattlesnake Run Road to Caledonia State Park

This is day 1 of our vacation where we hope to hike most if not all of what we have left on the Pennsylvania AT. We are staying at hotels each night, not camping. Today was unseasonably hot! It got up to the low 80's. We forgot to bring a water filter with us. We usually carry one in the summer, and leave it home during the winter - I'm too afraid of it freezing (which kills it). The lack of water filter meant we had to carry all the water we needed for the day, which was a lot given how hot it was. I was so grateful to be out hiking today. Just makes me happy.

We passed a really nice pair of shelters - one for snorers, one for non-snorers. If we had stayed there, Glen and I wouldn't be sleeping together :) I think this section is maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, and their shelters are da bomb! The shelter had an eating pavilion, bear pole, fire pit, clothes line. It was ultra fancy!

I had read that southern Pennsylvania isn't rocky. We did go through some rocky sections though. Maybe its just less rocky? We did see a bunch of backpackers out. A whole lot of them actually. During our trip, I noticed most of the people out hiking were backpackers, not day hikers like us. We did meet a thru hiker who started out on January 30th. I figured out later in the trip that he was ScoutMaster - a guy whose vlog I'd heard about, but haven't been following. Today I slipped on some leaves, and my right leg flew out in front of me. This caused groin/psoas pain. This is the hip I have problems with, so bad news. I iced it & took naproxen in the evening & hoped for the best.

We are staying in Chambersburg first.

Parking at Rattlesnake Run Road

Road crossing near the start

Pair of shelters



Short side trail to Chimney Rocks

Many people stopped here for a nap or a snack break



The first of many, many rocky sections during our trip


No comments:

Post a Comment