Sunday, February 25, 2018

Red and Yellow trail loop, Ward Pound Ridge

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
2/25/2017 5 miles 1 hour 45 minutes 66.2

Map: Pick up a map when you pay for parking.

Parking: Enter park, pay for parking and turn right. Park at the end of the road. There is plenty of parking. Cost is $10 without a Westchester County Parks Pass. $5 with a Parks Pass. I went on a weekend, when they do charge. In the winter we haven't been charged on weekday evenings.

Directions: Take the Red trail counter-clockwise. Where the Red trail intersects with the Yellow trail at marker 33, turn left on the yellow trail and follow it back to the parking lot.

Today's forecast was for rain in the afternoon, so we planned a 5 mile hike near Cold Spring in the morning. When we arrived in Cold Spring, I went to take out my backpack and discovered I had left it at home. Doh! If I at least had rain gear with me, I would have hiked and shared Glen's water. But, my rain gear was in my pack - and given that it was going to rain, we had to turn around and drive home.

That left even less time for our hike, so we headed over to Ward Pound Ridge. I'm trying to gradually increase my weekly hike mileage gradually to get myself in shape for our next hiking trip. Last weekend's Bear Mountain trip left me realizing I have some work to do! Today's goal was to do at least 5 miles. The red loop is 5.6 miles. We had nice warm weather, and Trek took dips in streams every chance he could. It did start sprinkling near the end of our hike, so Glen wanted to abort our loop and take the yellow trail back - cutting our mileage down to around 5 miles for the day. Glen used his hiking umbrella. I want to get one as well. Maybe this week I'll work on coming up getting the gear to hook up the umbrella to my pack.



No comments:

Post a Comment