Sunday, January 17, 2016

PA Appalachian Trail - Section 2 - Wind Gap to Leroy Smith Shelter

Date Distance Time Elevation Gain Average Moving Time Year to Date Miles
1/17/2016 9 miles 4 hours 29 minutes 1,440' 2.18 mph 39.4

Trail Map and Guide
Parking: AT Parking Lot, Wind Gap N40° 51.641' W75° 17.554'


Directions:
Carefully cross street from parking area.
Turn right and walk through underpass.
Turn left into woods.
Follow AT to sign for Leroy Shelter.
Retrace steps.


Notes:
This hike starts out with a switchbacked climb out of the gap. Eventually the trail levels outs. Being Pennsylvania, the trail is rocky. There were some views, but nothing exciting. We saw very few people, but we did see a couple we recognized. This happens to us sometimes when hiking a section of the AT - sometimes we stop and talk to people and then see them again a few times on later hikes. After yesterday's wet, slushy hike, I was thinking it was nice to be on dry ground today. Halfway through our hike it started snowing. All of a sudden those rocks & leaves became very slippery. Glen was just wearing trail runners and wasn't having any problem with traction, but I was sliding wearing my boots - with just a light dusting of snow. I ended up doing a flying face plant. This is the second time I've done a face plant in Pennsylvania. I'm starting to think I should be hiking this state with a helmet on! I even have a bump on my head tonight. Hoping I don't wake up with a huge bruise tomorrow.

Parking area. You have to walk along on the shoulder of this busy road

Rocks!



Gas pipeline

Most of the trail looks like this - leaves and rocks

Turnaround spot


Taking a quick snack break. This is right before it started snowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment